Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Thoughts_Structure as an Educator

This model is the product of an exploration of steel components based on my steel research thus far. Here is my attempt at combining a set of steel produced pieces into what could be considered a complete structural system. I can imagine the bronze wire to be bent steel tubing, the spaghetti to be tension cables (perhaps supporting glass and steel panels or corrugated steel), and the cardboard to represent more traditional steel elements (beams, gusset plates). My goal was to harmonize a series of steel components through an intricate array of connections including welds, rivets, and machined connectors. I feel it would be interesting to use the structure of the museum itself to eclectically display a variety of steel uses throughout the material's existence, and thus educate the visitor in an architectural sense and at the same time use this idea to "customize" construction.










No comments: